9121522521翻译【精选】
0904翻译:敬业与乐业(梁启超)
Translation: Respectand Love Your Job (Liang Qichao)
(translated by: alexcwlin; edited by: Adam Lam)
我这题目,是把礼记里头「敬业乐群」和老子里头「安其居乐其业」那两句话,断章取义造出来。
My topic here iscreated, in taking out of context, from two phrases. The first one “Love yourjob and enjoy your friends’ company.” is recorded in the Book of Rites. Thesecond one “Feel satisfied with your living and love your job.” was from LaoZi.
我所说是否与礼记、老子原意相合,不必深求;
We don’t need todelve into whether what I say concurs with the original intention of thosephrases in the Book of Rites and Lao Zi.
但我确信「敬业乐业」四个字,是人类生活的不二法门。
But I do firmlybelieve there are no two ways about the four words “Respect/Love Your Job” inconducting peoples’ lives.
第一要敬业。
The first thing isyou must respect your job.
敬字为古圣贤教人做人最简易、直捷的法门,
“Respect” is the mostsimple and direct way to conduct yourself in life according to advice of sagesin ancient times.
可惜被後来有些人说得太精微,倒变了不适实用了。
Unfortunately peopleafterwards get too fancy with its interpretation and so it becomes impractical.
惟有朱子解得最好。
Only Zhu Zi explainedit well.
他说:「主一无适便是敬。」
He said: “Respect isto focus without distraction.”
用现在的话讲,凡做一件事,便忠於一件事,将全副精力集中到这事上头,一点不旁骛,便是敬。
In today’s terms,“respect” means in doing one thing, you must stay focused and dedicate yourentire attention on this one thing without distraction.
业有什麽可敬呢?
What needs to berespected about job?
为什麽该敬呢?
And why does jobdeserve to be respected?
人类一面为生活而劳动,一面也是为劳动而生活。
On one hand humanswork to live, and on the other they live to work.
人类既不是上帝特地制来充当消化面包的机器,
Humans are notcreated by God as bread-consuming machines.
自然该各人因自己的地位和才力,认定一件事去做。
Of course eachindividual should identify a job to work on depending on his position andcapability.
凡可以名为一件事的,其性质都是可敬。
Anything that can becalled a job can be respected in nature.
当大总统是一件事,拉黄包车也是一件事`。
Being a president isa job, and pulling a rickshaw is also a job.
事的名称,从俗人眼里看来,有高下;
In the eyes ofordinary people, there are high and low in classifications of jobs inaccordance with their names.
事的性质,从学理上解剖起来,并没有高下。
The nature of jobs,however, does not make a distinction between high and low pursuant to analysisunder scientific principles.
只要当大总统的人,信得过我可以当大总统才去当,实实在在把总统当作一件正经事来做;
The person whoassumes the position of a president must genuinely believe he can be apresident before he assumes that position, and then seriously performs hisduties as one.
拉黄包车的人,信得过我可以拉黄包车才去拉,实实在在把拉车当作一件正经事来做,
The person pullingrickshaw must genuinely believe he can pull rickshaw before he assumes thatposition, and then seriously performs his duties as one.
便是人生合理的生活。
That would be asensible way to live our lives.
这叫做职业的神圣。
Such is calledsacredness of job.
凡职业没有不是神圣的,所以凡职业没有不是可敬的。
There is no job thatis not sacred, and so there is no job that should not be respected.
惟其如此,所以我们对於各种职业,没有甚麽分别拣择。
Only in this mannerthat we would not make a distinction between jobs of different natures.
总之,人生在世,是要天天劳作的。
In any case, when welive in this world we must work every day.
劳作便是功德,不劳作便是罪恶。
Working is a virtueand not working is a sin.
至於我该做哪一种劳作呢?
Then what job shouldI do?
全看我的才能何如、境地何如。
That depends entirelyon my ability and circumstances.
因自己的才能、境地,做一种劳作做到圆满,便是天地间第一等人。
A person, in doing a perfectjob relative to his ability and circumstances, is a first class person in thisworld.
第二要乐业。
The second thing isto love your job.
「做工好苦呀!」这种叹气的声音,无论何人都会常在口边流露出来。
“The job is a pain!”is the sort of whining which anyone would utter regularly.
但我要问他:「做工苦,难道不做工就不苦吗?」
But let me ask him: “Ifworking is a pain, would stop working not a pain?”
今日大热天气,我在这里喊破喉咙来讲,诸君扯直耳朵来听,
In today’s hotweather, I am preaching at the top of my voice, and you gentlemen are perkingup your ears to listen.
有些人看着我们好苦;
Other people watchingus would think it is a pain for us.
翻过来,
Look at it in anotherway.
倘若我们去赌钱、去吃酒,还不是一样淘神、费力?
If we go to gambleand drink, wouldn’t that be just as brain-racking and energy-draining?
难道又不苦?
Wouldn’t you say thatis not painful?
须知苦乐全在主观的心,不在客观的事。
You should know painor pleasure only exists in the subjective mind and is not an objective matter.
人生从出胎的那一秒钟起到廔气的那一秒钟止,除了睡觉以外,总不能把四肢、五官都搁起不用。
From the moment aperson is born to the moment he stops breathing, other than the time he isasleep, there isn’t a moment that he can put away his four limbs together with hisfive sense organs and not use them.
只要一用,不是淘神,便是费力,
Once he uses them,then he would be racking his brain and draining his energy.
劳苦总是免不掉的。
Working isinevitable.
会打算盘的人,只有从劳苦中找出快乐来。
A calculated personknows he can only find happiness from working.
我想天下第一等苦人,莫过於无业游民,终日闲游浪荡,不知把自己的身子和心子摆在哪里才好,
I think the topmost classof painful persons in this world would be good-for-nothing vagabonds who wanderaround all day and don’t know where to place their bodies and minds.
他们的日子真难过。
Time drags for them.
第二等苦人,便是厌恶自己本业的人,
The second mostpainful class of persons are the ones who hate their jobs.
这件事分明不能不做,却满肚子里不愿意做。
Their jobs have to bedone, but they are most reluctant to do them.
不愿意做逃得了吗?
Is reluctance a wayout of doing the jobs?
到底不能。
After all they can’t.
结果还是皱着眉头,哭丧着脸去做。
In the end they stillhave to do those jobs with long faces.
这不是专门自己替自己开玩笑吗?
Aren’t they pullingtheir own legs?
我老实告诉你一句话:「凡职业都是有趣味的,
Let me be frank and tellyou a few words: “Every job has inherent fun.
只要你肯继续做下去,趣味自然会发生。」
If you are willing tokeep at it, fun will emerge.”
为什麽呢?第一、因为凡一件职业,总有许多层累、曲折,
Why? Firstly, it isbecause every job has a lot of intricacies and complications.
倘能身入其中,看它变化、进展的状态,最为亲切有味。
Once you put yourselfin the middle of it and watch its changes and progress, you will develop apersonal interest towards it.
第二、因为每一职业之成就,离不了奋斗;
Secondly, the successin doing every job hinges on working hard.
一步一步的奋斗前去,从刻苦中将快乐的分量加增。
If you work hard stepby step going forward, the amount of happiness you derive from your hard workwill increase proportionately.
第三、职业性质,常常要和同业的人比较骈进,好像赛球一般,因竞胜而得快感。
Thirdly, the natureof a job often requires comparison of your progress with your peers like acompetitive ball game, and you can obtain satisfaction from triumph.
第四、专心做一职业时,把许多游思、妄想杜绝了,
Fourthly, when youfocus on a job you will rid yourself of many daydreams and wishful thinking.
省却无限闲烦闷。
Then you can saveyourself from troublesome idling of the mind.
孔子说:「知之者不如好之者,好之者不如乐之者。」
Confucius said:“Knowing it is not as well as liking it, and liking it is not as well asenjoying it.”
人生能从自己职业中领略出趣味,生活才有价值。
In your life if youcould realize pleasure from your work, then it’s a life worth living for.
孔子自述生平,说道:「其为人也,
Confucius talkedabout his own life and said: “This is the way I conduct myself as a person.
发愤忘食,
My quest forknowledge is so diligent I often forget to eat.
乐以忘忧,不知老之将至云尔。」
When I make progress,I’m so happy I forget all sorrows and progression in age.”
这种生活,真算得人类理想的生活了。
This way of life is anideal life for a man.
我生平受用的有两句话:
There are two phraseswhich I enjoy quoting in my life.
一是「责任心」,二是「趣味」。
One is “sense ofresponsibility”, and the second is “feeling of interest”.
我自己常常的求这两句话之实现与调和,常常把这两句话向我的朋友强聒不舍。
I always seek theimplementation and harmonization of the factors in these two phrases, and lecturemy friends relentlessly with these two phrases.
今天所讲,敬业即是责任心,乐业即是趣味。
What I talk abouttoday are: respecting your job is a sense of responsibility, and loving yourjob is a feeling of interest.
我深信人类合理的生活应该如此,我望诸君和我一同受用!
I firmly believe alife that makes sense should be like that, and I hope all you ladies and gentlemenwould share the use of them with me.